Author Topic: Waking and sleeping a rig?  (Read 73 times)

Offline OldChap

• XS cruncher
  • scout3
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Waking and sleeping a rig?
« on: 06 June, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »
I was bored and decided to look at renewable energy purely with a view to cutting costs...... Then one thing led to another and I got to wondering what would be a good way of only running rigs when the photo-voltaics/wind turbine were producing enough power?

With retirement not so far off now it is an idea that greatly appeals to my sense of scrooge

If you have thoughts or have heard of something similar I'd love to hear about it

(posted in "Linux" only because crunchers run Linux)
crunching since June 2009, Threadcount = 144ish.....weak key = 596475_ede3b4a34fc4b38339359c5d ee4c6cc2

Offline stoneageman

• Administrator
  • gunship2
  • Never too old to crunch
    • View Profile
    • Put a smile on someones face
  • Started DC: 2003
  • Primary OS: Ubuntu Gnome 17.4
Re: Waking and sleeping a rig?
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:42:41 PM »
On the subject of cutting costs OC, I seem to remember a few years ago you posted a suggestion that some of our members who enjoy very low energy and equipment costs could hire out their hosts for others to use for crunching, with the result they then get free heating and perhaps also make a little money. What became of that idea? It would surely work out a lot cheaper than Google or Amazon compute  /&\

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:44:17 PM »
A rather simple way I think that might work is putting PCs on UPS and monitor software on PCs to sleep and wake PCs as their power drops to certain levels. A quick search I found a Linux program that allow scripting and various controls. It will use one Network server to control other PCs. In the FAQ it talks about the PC coming back up after power down.

http://networkupstools.org/

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." -  Douglas Adams

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2017, 12:47:58 AM »
OC I do not know if this something that will be helpful but it at least shows what is possible under Linux with what you are wanting to do.

https://einsteinathome.org/content/summertime-and-full-year-heatmap#comment-158574
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." -  Douglas Adams