Author Topic: Xtreme Brewing  (Read 483 times)

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Things brewed or distilled; cold or hot
« Reply #15 on: 30 November, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »
Perhaps we should rename this thread xtreme brewing \-/  I'm so far resisting the temptation to get started again, not sure how long I can hold out   |&|

Done.  \^^/
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." -  Douglas Adams

Offline bluestang

• XS cruncher
  • crew6
    • View Profile
  • Started DC: 2010
  • Primary OS: Anything besides Windows 10
Re: Xtreme Brewing
« Reply #16 on: 03 December, 2016, 12:41:17 AM »
You bastards are making me thirsty!
 \-/
Weak Account Key: 711591_7590b095dabcd100f5382456 f0f85336

Offline KaptainBlaZzed

• Xtreme Cruncher
  • XS cruncher
  • sentinel1
    • View Profile
  • Started DC: 2005
  • Primary OS: Win7_x64, Mint MATE
« Reply #17 on: 05 December, 2016, 05:34:07 PM »
had some crappy weather here over the weekend so i decided to brew 2 batches.

1.  Irish Red Ale (Brewed with London Ale Yeast instead of Irish Ale)
This will give the beer a more mineraly taste than the Irish Ale yeast

2.  Cream Ale (brewed with Corn, Rice, and Malt)
Going to dry hop with 2 oz of orange peel and 1oz anthaum and 1oz amarillo

\^^/

360 Xeon Threads - 3 x GTX 1080 - GTX 1070 - BFL Monarch 700 - OrangePi+ 2E - RaspberryPi 3b+

Offline VietOZ

• XS cruncher
  • sentinel4
    • View Profile
  • Started DC: 2007
  • Primary OS: I'm linux newb
« Reply #18 on: 05 December, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
You bastards are making me thirsty!
 \-/

lol me too.

Offline KaptainBlaZzed

• Xtreme Cruncher
  • XS cruncher
  • sentinel1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 December, 2016, 02:23:15 AM »
The irish red is done and it turned out to be an English Brown.

My first time using the recipe and i added too much roasted barley for my equipment.
I tend to get better than average conversion %'s because i use a RIMS system and it caused my red to turn out brown.

on the plus side, it taste really good. )/

360 Xeon Threads - 3 x GTX 1080 - GTX 1070 - BFL Monarch 700 - OrangePi+ 2E - RaspberryPi 3b+

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 December, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »
Wil Wheaton, of Star Trekk fame, has some videos on youtube on his brewing adventures and misadventures. He is really into it big time. He keeps a log of every detail when brewing a batch. So if things do not go as expected he can go back to his notes and either avoid repeating or to repeat it if the results were still good. He ven records the song that was playing at the time. lol

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wil+wheaton+beer+brewing
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." -  Douglas Adams

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 December, 2016, 01:07:24 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good porter that is available in the states? Looking to try something new and I can't go to the store to browse.

^)(^

I should mention I do not like flavored beers, or coffee either. So pumpkin spice hazelnut banana delight beer will be ignored. You may end up on my ignore list as well.  ^.^

Offline KaptainBlaZzed

• Xtreme Cruncher
  • XS cruncher
  • sentinel1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 December, 2016, 03:45:19 AM »
brewed up a Shiner Bock clone on Saturday. Should be ready in about a month. :)

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 December, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »
OK switching to coffee brewing here.

All daughters will be here the 15th. All coffee lovers. Ordered a Bialetti. Looking for recomends for grinder. Do not want to spend alot. But these gals are connoisseurs and want to try and do the best cup I can. Columbian seems to be the flavor of choice. I am tempted to just buy ground coffee but I know a bit more flavor will be possible with fresh ground.

Amazon reviewers suggest a slightly coarser grind than espresso.

^/\

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 December, 2016, 05:41:49 PM »
Are manual grinders the only ones that have adjustments for grind coarseness?

Offline OldChap

• XS cruncher
  • scout3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 December, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »
Not at all, electric espresso grinders tend to have 2 different systems: stepped or infinitely variable.

You are looking for a burr grinder. The most cost effective way to get what you need may be a secondhand commercial grinder so think about how much you can spend then hit ebay or whatever.

Good deals to be had if parts like hopper are damaged or missing. Be prepared to do some deep cleaning ;)

Whatever you find, post links then I can advise

Just had a quick look on ebay usa and things seem more expensive as there are fewer than here but lots more brew grinders than here (you don't really want one of those) Maybe thee are more local markets?

Is $200 too much?
crunching since June 2009, Threadcount = 144ish.....weak key = 596475_ede3b4a34fc4b38339359c5d ee4c6cc2

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 January, 2017, 04:52:35 PM »
Son-in-law found these under the Free section on Craiglist. Look new, about a liter I guess. Gaskets and ceramic caps are all new looking. Guy said he was cutting back and down sizing. 10 in all. Nice find.

We are thinking about gallon jug size operation instead of the big 5 gallon rigs. Space could be a problem. Found this: http://www.gallonbrewing.com/

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »
If beer is not your thing Amazon has some equipment for making shine...

DIY 3 Gal 12 Liters Home Distiller Moonshine Alcohol Still Stainless Boiler Copper Thumper Keg
https://www.amazon.com/Distiller-Moonshine-Alcohol-Stainless-Thumper/dp/B00XZ381F0/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1483722368&sr=1-13&keywords=beer+brewing+kit

<@>

Offline PoppaGeek

• XS cruncher
  • xdroid2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 April, 2017, 10:01:38 PM »
Got a new coffee for my Moka pot

"About the product
100% Arabica
Medium roast
Intense flavor"

All true and no bitterness.  ><{

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJNTII6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&th=1

Offline bluestang

• XS cruncher
  • crew6
    • View Profile
  • Started DC: 2010
  • Primary OS: Anything besides Windows 10
« Reply #29 on: 19 June, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
^ Hey I just bought some of that a couple weeks ago!  Along with some Caffe Borbone Miscela Blu ESE Pods to try  https://www.amazon.com/Caffe-Borbone-Coffee-Pods-Miscela/dp/B06XFYBTZK?th=1

Also bought a Electric Milk Frother and Warmer at the same time  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094KTKOO/

I gotta say it's not too shabby.  Got them specifically for the wife to use, but I find myself being lazy lately and using the ESE pods and this frother with very good results.  Snobs will say different, but I don't particularly care.  Though I should have got the larger one to do enough milk for 2 lattes at once.

Haven't used my cheap old Delonghi EC155 Espresso machine in a while.  Barely used it when I did.  Had to take it apart as water wasn't coming out of the grouphead...steam/water dispenser was ok, so I knew pump was OK.   Turned out to be the itty bitty spring and silicon seal was stuck closed at the bottom of the boiler, not letting any water come into the grouphead and portafilter.  One good thing is that when apart I noticed the boiler is spot free with no scale build up.  Of course, since I barely used it.

Now I'm using it a couple times a week to make the wife and I some lattes.  I think I'm hoping it breaks so I can by a better machine and also a grinder.

Was looking at these options:

Delonghi EC680M DEDICA Espresso Machine  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KA8YC6A/
-or-
Breville BES840XL Infuser Espresso Machine  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089SSOR6/

Along with a grinder:

Breville BCG600SIL The Dose Control Pro Coffee Bean Grinder  https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BCG600SIL-Control-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00RLXPHJ8/
-or-
Breville BCG820BSSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder  https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BCG820BSSXL-Grinder-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B00OXGXW8O/

Or go the All-In-One solution:

Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH9QWOU/

Pros and cons all the way around.  And 3 (maybe 4) year Protection/Warranty from Amazon would be purchase for any of them.  I'm considering the Delonghi EC680 since it has a filter basket for the ESE Pods so the wife can use it without having to teach her much at all.  Of course the geek in me wants any of the Breville solutions listed above, but none of them come with or have an ESE Pod filter basket.  Also both the Breville machines come with both pressurized and non-pressurized baskets to make the learning curve easier should I tackle teaching her.  The Delonghi only has pressurized, and non-pressurized isn't available without hacking your own, but is also a ~$160 to 200+ cheaper solution.  The snobs say pressurized should never be used. 

Comments/Suggestions welcomed from you Espresso fans and experts alike!
Weak Account Key: 711591_7590b095dabcd100f5382456 f0f85336